13 Aug 2015

The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner #2) by James Dashner

The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner #2) by James Dashner

Goodreads Synopsis
Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. 
 
Thomas was sure that escape from the Maze would mean freedom for him and the Gladers. But WICKED isn’t done yet. Phase Two has just begun. The Scorch. 
 
There are no rules. There is no help. You either make it or you die.
 
The Gladers have two weeks to cross through the Scorch—the most burned-out section of the world. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them. 
 
Friendships will be tested. Loyalties will be broken. All bets are off. 
 
There are others now. Their survival depends on the Gladers’ destruction—and they’re determined to survive.

While I loved The Maze Runner, I found that The Scorch Trials fell short for me in terms of plot line. I wasn't a fan of the new girl because I could tell she was added just to be a love interest for Thomas. I also don't understand why Dashner would build up this relationship between Teresa and Thomas and then use it against them in this novel. 

As soon as we met the all girl group, all I could think was "man I would have much rather learned about them in the first novel". There were a lot more plot twists and turns in this one and it started off right into the action which made it a much more enjoyable read than The Maze Runner. However, I was still disappointed with it. It seemed to me that The Maze Runner was written as a standalone and then the other plot points were written as Dashner was writing the book. I just felt like I wasn't sure where the story could go after The Maze Runner and then we got even more questions (rather than answers) in The Scorch Trials that seemed to come out of the blue.

Thomas is still Thomas and Teresa took a bad spin there but I still love her dearly. I think it is difficult with this series because Thomas isn't the most likeable character. I would have been happier if Thomas wasn't so infurirating and/or Teresa wasn't made to be this huge bitch in this one. #justsayin

Overall: 3/5 stars for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!