2 Nov 2015

SFD Mission: Open Letter to LAURIE ELIZABETH FLYNN and her debut book FIRSTS

Hello and welcome to another mission for Sassy's Fangirl Debuts! If you're unfamiliar with this feature on my blog, you can see my introductory post here. We are writing another round of open letters to debuts this time around, but I am also writing something special just for you guys! 

I was matched up with LAURIE ELIZABETH FLYNN and her book FIRSTS (which I talk a lot about on my Twitter page and blog) so you can see my open letter to her below. 

Then KEEP SCROLLING for a fun Mercedes style journal entry that explains why I think you guys should read the book.
--
About the Book
FIRSTS
Author: Laurie Elizabeth Flynn
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Publication Date: January 5, 2016

Summary:
Seventeen-year-old Mercedes Ayres has an open-door policy when it comes to her bedroom, but only if the guy fulfills a specific criteria: he has to be a virgin. Mercedes lets the boys get their awkward, fumbling first times over with, and all she asks in return is that they give their girlfriends the perfect first time- the kind Mercedes never had herself.

Keeping what goes on in her bedroom a secret has been easy- so far. Her absentee mother isn’t home nearly enough to know about Mercedes’ extracurricular activities, and her uber-religious best friend, Angela, won’t even say the word “sex” until she gets married. But Mercedes doesn’t bank on Angela’s boyfriend finding out about her services and wanting a turn- or on Zach, who likes her for who she is instead of what she can do in bed.

When Mercedes’ perfect system falls apart, she has to find a way to salvage her reputation and figure out where her heart really belongs in the process. Funny, smart, and true-to-life, FIRSTS is a one-of-a-kind young adult novel about growing up.
--
Dearest Laurie Elizabeth Flynn,

I want to start with THANK YOU. Thank you for this book, for Mercedes, and for writing in sex scenes that don't fade to black. 
You already know I am a huge fan of you and your book. I was super lucky to have already read your book and I loved every second of it. I am also really lucky that we met and have conversed over many topics. While you are a fan of ketchup chips while I could pass on them and I love hockey and that's a meh to you, I know we are still kindred spirits through my reading of FIRSTS.

Mercedes is such a strong character; "good girls" be damned because I want more characters like Mercedes, Faye, and Angela. (And, okay, maybe a Zach or two in my life). You wrote an amazing guest post for Bookish Babes that I always read when I'm laying in bed thinking about my past mistakes because you hit the nail right on the head. There is so much pressure for girls to do this or act a certain way, so I am so glad that in your novel you explore these limitations with Mercedes.

I want to thank you for making feel like it's okay to be that girl. The one that makes mistakes, the one that can learn from mistakes, the one that can still be worth something even though she has made those mistakes. I really hope that everyone learns that being that girl isn't necessarily a bad thing by reading your book. I hope that people just learn to love themselves.


Love always,
Jamie K.

--
--
See all the other letters by the wonderful agents:

6 comments:

  1. This letter was absolutely amazing, Jamie! I couldn't wipe the grin off my face while reading. I've seen you gush about this book many times on Twitter (along with other people I follow) and it gets me even more excited than I already am! The minute I get my hands on a copy, we totally need to have a DM where we can talk about it! :) Once again, lovely letter Agent Jamie! <3

    Talina @ Sassy & Dangerous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, this is so sweet!! Is it weird the first thing I notice is you have very pretty and neat writing lol! I will remember to look for #2 when I read Firsts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie, this letter means the world to me. I'm printing it as soon as I get home from work and putting it right above my desk because I know it will inspire me and put a smile on my face. Your support of FIRSTS has been incredible and I fully agree that we're kindred spirits, even though you don't share my love of ketchup chips!
    Sending you virtual hugs and when we get to meet in person, they will be real hugs! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just requested a copy of this! I have literally been dying to get it, and I'm so glad that you read and enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH. So YOU'RE the lucky lady who got to write a letter to her! I am SOSOSO excited for this book! I just got an ARC of it so I will be starting it either this or next month. *fist bumps for sex positivity*

    Jess @Princessica of Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. AHHHH! I realllly want to read this book! Have an ARC if it but have yet to pick it up. I will soon though! I am really glad you enjoyed this book and your letter made me even more excited to read it! :D

    ~Kaitlin @ Next Page Please!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!