12 Aug 2015

The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner #1) by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner #1) by James Dashner

Goodreads Synopsis
If you ain’t scared, you ain’t human.


When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.

Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive.

Everything is going to change.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.

Remember. Survive. Run.

I picked this one up second hand on a recommendation from a friend and enjoyed my reading of it. I did have some issues with it though. I know it is super hyped now but that was not the case when I picked it up.

I thought Thomas was pretty frustrating as a lead character, I would have rather read this from Minho's point of view tbh. He was my favourite. I think Thomas was kind of ... obtuse almost? He seemed to be questioning things that he shouldn't have and just went with things that he probably should have questioned. And while I am okay with him wanting to be a runner, I am a little sick of the trend that these characters are thrown into a new setting and change everything to make it better because they know so much more than everyone else. Yes there is a need for change in some cases, but Thomas is to the point of being disrespectful to Minho and doesn't follow instructions. That is not okay.

I really liked Teresa and I am hoping we get to see more of her and her abilities. I thought it was pretty cool that her and Thomas could communicate telepathically. I really like her and the fact that she, more than Thomas, has some knowledge and ability to figure out what is happening.

After the first bit of the story that gave introductions and world building, I thought it really picked up speed. There was a lot going on that moved the plot along and also developed characters. It was interesting to see the characters have to develop based on incidents and other people's actions. However, it also felt like most of the characters were not extremely fleshed out -- but that might be because of the point of view style.

Overall: 3.5/5 stars for this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!