22 May 2015

The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time #2) by Robert Jordan

The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time #2) by Robert Jordan

Goodreads Synopsis
The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow. For centuries, gleemen have told of The Great Hunt of the Horn. Now the Horn itself is found: the Horn of Valere long thought only legend, the Horn which will raise the dead heroes of the ages.

And it is stolen.


_______________________________________________________________
We catch up with Rand Al'Thor and company after Rand displays that he has the One Power at the end of The Eye of The World. Rand should have left weeks ago to pursue his life however he chooses but sits around contemplating life and then gets roped into finding a stolen horn that is supposed to be used at the Last Battle to call forth dead armies to help fight the Dark One.

I gotta say, there is a lot of overarching plot, a lot of people (most of whom we see once and then never again), and lots for me to remember because this book (like the last one) drags and drags and drags then everything happens at once before it starts to drag again and absolutely bores me to tears.

But I really enjoyed it. I liked the infodumps of history and information, it was obviously an easy way for Jordan to tell us information about what was happening before the events of the story, but it also gave the reader information that I thrive on. I love history and information about a world. And honestly, this is really well thought out world building. I like everything about it. I liked learning more information about the White Tower and their processes.

But gosh this was a neverending plot sequence. And the characters didn't really move forward, they were pretty static. But they were able to stat moving forward, because they were on their own. I think that because there is such a big cast, it is really easy to forget who people are when they are all together unless they are introduced and reintroduced multiple times. But breaking them into smaller groups to have their own adventures allows the audience to remember the characters and get to know them a bit better. So while they were very static of characters, I think this can easily be remedied if they stay in smaller groups in the next novels. This will allow them to grow as people independent of those around them.

I like Rand. I think he is a good character and can become a good leader, but I think it is stupid that after channeling the One Power and not dying, he still refuses to believe he is the dragon reborn. Like come on, it is so obvious. In reality, he is just being stubborn about it. It isn't like he can't channel or hasn't channeled yet or he hasn't been able to do all these super cool things, he has and he can so he needs to stop being so whiny and stubborn and just accept it. Then the real plot can move forward. 

I have heard it goes downhill from book 7 onward, but I am still looking forward to the rest of the series and hopefully I finish it before year end!

Overall: 3.5/5 stars. I liked that Rand and the boys were able to become their own people and so were the girls. I like when there is a large cast and they are spaced out so I am glad that even though their paths crossed again this time, they are still separate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!