22 May 2015

The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time #1) by Robert Jordan

The Eye of The World (The Wheel of Time #1) by Robert Jordan

Goodreads Synopsis
The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

______________________________________________________________
This book had all the right aspects of a fantasy novel to draw me in. It had lots of characters being introduced, which made some of the aspects of the story confusing, but got the ball rolling for what is to be expected in the rest of the series.

This book and series has been reviewed to death, but one of the things that really caught my attention (and made me go some nights without sleeping) was that The Dark One could enter into your mind and know what you were thinking/feeling while you were sleeping. That's messed up. I don't like that. But it was good, it made the reader question what teeters on the edge of reality and a dream, which is extremely important in a long fantasy series with magic.

I liked the explanation of magic and I liked the descriptions that Rand gave while using magic. I almost felt like I was channeling the One Power while the characters were using it because of how rich the descriptions were. The world itself had a good, solid foundation that will only be expanded upon as the novels continue and the characters travel. My biggest concern was that the females were all written relatively the same: short tempered and bullied men into getting their own way. 

I did think the villain, The Dark One, was kind of tacky and underwhelming. I do hope there is more to him and his powers that are shown in the rest of the series. And I hope they expand upon why people are following him, other than the fact that he is the Dark One. Because that isn't enough of an explanation for me, especially since this text is so rich with explanations to the point that there is almost too much information being given at once.

I do hope there is more character development throughout the rest of the series. But for a book that was written before I was even a thought inside my parent's brains, I really enjoyed it.

Overall: 4/5 stars. I am really excited to see where this series will go and how Rand will handle being the Dragon Reborn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!